Winter in Mongolia is an extremely beautiful time of year with the added bonus that you can also experience it without crowds of tourists. Having said that Winter in Mongolia is also very harsh with temperatures dropping as low as 25 below zero (c). If you have an adventurous spirit then this won’t phase you at all, however it is still important to pack the right things. Here’s what you need:Add paragraph text here.
- Layers – As your parents probably always said, layers are the key to keeping warm. Several long sleeve tees for layering and several thermal tops are essential for this purpose. Wear these as your base layering with one large wool sweater to complete.
- Pants – Avoid jeans as you are more than likely going to be outside for large periods of time, make sure to bring a good quality pair of snow-pants but also don’t forget a comfortable pair of indoor pants for when you are snug by the stove in your Mongolian Ger.
- Undergarments – Bring several pairs of fleece-lined leggings and warm, knit socks.
- Shoes – A good quality shoe is essential in winter, the shoe you choose should be sturdy, tall and waterproof. The difficulty with bringing winter shoes is that they take up so much room in your suitcase. Solution = wear them on the plane.
- Winter Coat/Parka – The same as shoes, it is definitely important to invest in a high-quality coat that keeps you covered as much as possible. Make sure it’s waterproof and has a hood for extra protection.
- Hat – We have all heard the fact that 70% of our body heat escapes through our head. Bring a warm, fleece-lined beanie or even a trapper hat for extra warmth.
- Gloves/Mittens – Whichever you prefer, consider that you are probably going to want to take a lot of photos when you are out in the glorious countryside. Constantly taking your gloves off can be tiresome, it is now possible however to buy an extra functional pair that has incorporated touch screen pads so that you can use your phone without taking them off every time.
- Scarf –Don’t just bring any loose knit scarf, make sure you bring a better quality wool scarf that can effectively block the wind.